Monday, June 16, 2008

 

Montessori Catechesis

My co-worker's wife was a Montessori teacher and so I've been learning a little about the Montessori method. Thus far I really like what I've discovered. So, as I've been trying to figure out how to make our Religious Education program better, I've been wondering if it would be possible incorporate aspects of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd into what we're already doing. Right now we're using the Faith and Life Series from Ignatius Press, which I like, but there are still several problems with it. The biggest problem is that the series is really designed for a 5 day a week religion class, not an hour a week CCD class. So, we've begun to the process of weeding out the books and trying to give the teachers specific guidelines as to which chapters we really want to cover. It's slow going - we're only focusing on grades 7 and 8 (the Confirmation years) at the moment. However, I also want to do something with kindergarten and first grade as I don't think that they benefit from the books. What is the point of giving text books to children who can't read? That's where the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd comes in.

I don't have any trained Montessori catechists, so I'm looking for ways to incorporate hands on, Montessori type activities with the typical Religious Education format - once a week, for an hour. In doing some research I found the Home Catechesis Manual by Moira Farrell which is designed for homeschooling moms who don't necessarily have a background in Montessori. I also found a nice blog called Wildflowers and Marbles that had some good suggestions and further resources to check out. Finally, I found some great books through a friend (though they're not Montessori) that teach children about the Mass and about making little acts of love for Jesus. So, I'm slowly trying to pull all these pieces together into something that my untrained catechists can teach comfortably, that the children will enjoy, and most importantly that will build devotion in the children. If you have any experience with the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd or building a CCD program for kindergarten and first grade, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Labels: ,


The Documents in the Case:
What a timely topic! I'm currently looking into CGS and Montessori for our homeschooling needs. Though like you I'm not necessarily wanting to do CGS exclusively, but seeing what it can add to my toolbox.

Right now I'm doing a series of blog posts about The Religious Potential of the Child by Sofia Cavaletti. It's not a how-to book with lesson plans but rather an explanation of the philosophy behind the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. Pretty interesting stuff with many good insights into the how and why of catechesis, especially for young children. I'm blogging the book chapter by chapter with lots of pull quotes and my commentary and there's some good discussion going on in the comments there too. One commenter is currently training as a CGS catechist and has a son in a CGS program. Come on by and we can put our heads together.
 
Oh, I guess I should leave the links.

So far I've blogged through chapter 4. I'm working on posts for Chapters 5 and 6 now.

Reading Notes to The Religious Potential of the Child by Sophia Cavaletti:

Introduction and Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

And I'm really interested in hearing about any other good books and blogs you stumble upon in your quest.
 
I can't wait to read your posts. One of the good things about my job is that reading blog posts about catechesis fall under the heading of "work" :) Thanks for the review of the children's books too - I've added An Alphabet of Catholic Saints and The Blackbird's Nest to the list of books that I'd like to purchase for our RE class rooms.
 
Wimsey,
I stumbled across your blog in search for montesori catechesis information. Sounds like I am attempting the same exact thing you have been. I notice that the post was from 2008, and was wondering what your progress has been!? I would appreciate sooo much if you could share what you have been doing thus far to integrate the montesori ideas with a religious ed program. I am currently in training for CGS, but find it a little lacking in areas. I do like the Faith in Life books and wanted to include them in my program. I would love to get in touch with you to discuss this further. Please, email me at angelina.willard@gmail.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture