Thursday, April 17, 2008

 

What about the music?!

The blogs are humming with commentary on the Papal Mass in Washington, D.C., especially about the music. Check out Fr. Z for a round-up of all the opining.

My seat was in Section 317, Row A - which meant that I was sitting in the front row of a section 2 levels above the field boxes and slightly to the right of home plate. In fact, we were just enough right of home plate to be directly over the steps leading into the dugout through which the Pope entered and exited the stadium. I tried to get some pictures as he exited the stadium and was facing me, but I only had my cell camera, so I'm not sure how the pictures turned out. When I figure out how to get them off the phone and onto my computer, I'll post some.

My position in the ballpark meant that I was facing the altar almost head-on, and that I was on the opposite side of the stadium from the choir.

I found the Mass itself beautiful and prayerful. Though I noted the heavy predominance of African and Latin influences, they didn't bother me enough to take my attention away from the Mass itself. The altar was simple and the actions of the Mass according to the prescribed rite. The Holy Father's homily was wonderful - pedagogical, hopeful, encouraging. I loved his repetitive use of the word "apostolic" as well his exhortation to return to the sacrament of Penance. Being a catechist, I especially appreciated his reminder to catechists that their work is important in forming young people. But, he said, it is not only the work of the catechists, but their own formation itself which is important. Speaking to bishops, priests, religious, teachers and catechists he said:

The fidelity and courage with which the Church in this country will respond to the challenges raised by an increasingly secular and materialistic culture will depend in large part upon your own fidelity in handing on the treasure of our Catholic faith. Young people need to be helped to discern the path that leads to true freedom: the path of a sincere and generous imitation of Christ, the path of commitment to justice and peace. Much progress has been made in developing solid programs of catechesis, yet so much more remains to be done in forming the hearts and minds of the young in knowledge and love of the Lord. The challenges confronting us require a comprehensive and sound instruction in the truths of the faith. But they also call for cultivating a mindset, an intellectual "culture", which is genuinely Catholic, confident in the profound harmony of faith and reason, and prepared to bring the richness of faith’s vision to bear on the urgent issues which affect the future of American society.

I noted a few things while at the stadium: The thing that bothered me the most was the over done multi-culturalism. I know that America is a melting pot, but at times I feel like we give preference to every other culture except our own. And, I don't know why, in a Mass that is celebrated in English, there has to be one reading in Spanish. It's frustrating to go to an event in my own country and not be able to understand what's being said. I also noticed that all the lectors were women (again with the African/Latin theme) which I thought interesting. I have to admit that the one musical piece that did really jar me was the responsorial psalm. Whoever thought that was a good idea was crazy! Of all the modern, discordant nonsense. I really didn't pay a lot of attention to the other music, and contrary to most, I didn't find it overwhelming or distracting. It does seem, from what I've heard, that the music sounded louder and more overwhelming on television than it did for me in the stadium. The selection itself was interesting. I just wonder why it is necessary to always have a more modern setting for tradition pieces? Why isn't the tradtional setting good enough? At any rate, Placido Domingo sang the Panis Angelicus beautifully. I just wish that people had not started clapping for him at the beginning. As for one person's complaint of liturgical abuse because the choir sang the doxology with the Pope, it wasn't the choir singing, but all the bishops and priests in union with the Pope.

So, do I think that the music could have been better? Of course. Do I think that the entire Mass was a travesty? Not at all.

Labels:


The Documents in the Case:
Thanks for the input. I did not watch the Mass, but I had heard so negative comments about the music. The negativity seemed all too plausible based on my own experiences with music in this country.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture