Monday, October 01, 2007

 

The Extraordinary Form of the Mass

Because our CCD classes run from 7:30-12:15 on Sunday mornings, my choices for Sunday Mass are limited. I could go on Saturday afternoons, but I really don't want to do that on a regular schedule because not going to Mass on Sunday itself makes it harder for me to keep Sunday, especially when I'm working for part of it. I could also attend Sunday evening Mass, but I'm not really a fan of late Mass on Sunday because it seems to be the Mass attended by everyone who put off that "obligation" until the last minute. So, all things considered, my best option seems to be the 12:30 1962 Mass at a parish down the street. The Mass goers are reverent and the church is as nice a church as I've found in Northern Virginia. There are beautiful statues and it's smaller than many which gives it a more intimate feel.

It's going to take me a little while to get used to the extraordinary form of the Mass, though. The problem isn't the Latin - I've attended the Novus Ordo in Latin since I was young - the problem for me is the silence. It's a bit disconcerting, when you are used to hearing all the prayers of the Mass, to not be able to hear a word of the Eucharistic prayer except for the words of consecration themselves. It's also strange to not make any responses, but just to sit silent for the most part. A co-worker explained to me that the silence is intended to shroud the actions of the Mass in mystery. Just as in the Eastern Church the mysteries are hidden visually, so in the Roman Church the mysteries are hidden in silence. He said that he thought it was better that way. I'm not convinced - I like knowing what's going on and it's a lot easier for thoughts to wander when you can't tell what's happening. Maybe I'll get used to it - looks like I'll be attending this Mass for quite a while.

Labels:


The Documents in the Case: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture