Monday, August 06, 2007

 

In Defense of Franciscan University

I don't like to get into battles, even in com boxes, but I couldn't help commenting when I found the following on a Mark Shea post about Ave Maria:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but here is what one very trustworthy person said to me about FUS.

Here's what Jerry Wegemer, a professor of English at the University of Dallas, said when asked to compare UD to FUS: "Both schools assign a lot of the same books, but only at UD do the students actually read the books." The weak link at FUS is the students. Not bad people by any stretch, but just not all that bright. Hence, the lower standards.


I'm sick of hearing about the lower standards of Franciscan from people who don't know much about the school. I will readily admit that FUS is not Harvard (thank goodness), and that it is possible to graduate from there without a rigorous education. But, please don't insult those of us who worked hard there and did receive a great education. There was an ongoing fight while I was at FUS as to which was the best program. I still place my money behind the Humanities and Catholic Culture program. In that program, I read the books (most of which are still on my bookshelves) and learned how to write papers. That education has stood me in good stead as I've worked in a variety of areas - everything from teaching the humanities to high school students to accounting, and now in grad school.

So please, I don't want to hear any more about the low standards at Franciscan or the supposed lack of quality of its students.

Update:
Just to clarify - I don't know if Professor Wegemer actually spoke the words attributed to him and in what context they could have been spoken. As such, I am not making any judgement about Professor Wegemer. On the other hand, for someone to publish these words in a combox on a widely read blog without clarification is insulting and irresponsible - not to mention untrue.

Labels:


The Documents in the Case:
I had Dr Wegemer for a class while I was at UD and he presided over one of my oral exams. He's a great teacher and I can't help but think he'd not be well pleased to see his name bandied about like that. To leave a hearsay remark like that in a combox which cannot be verified and to which Dr. Wegemer did not give his approval shows that the person who left that comment had no taste and no tact.

Dom and I have had many conversations about the differences in emphasis between FUS and UD and I am sure that some of my comments if taken out of context might start to sound like Dr. Wegemer's comment. But since the commenter did not bother to provide us with the context, I'd urge you to give Dr. Wegemer the benefit of the doubt.
 
Melanie,

Thanks for your comments. It's good to know that Dr. Wegemer is a good professor and a good man. I agree that for someone to appropriate his words and post them is the ultimate in tastlessness.

My complaint is with the person who posted this supposed quote on a widely read Catholic blog, in response to an inquiring parent, and then followed it up with his/her own observation that students at FUS are "not all that bright." That is offensive and untrue.
 
Very offensive and quite untrue. All the FUS grads I've met have been exceedingly bright. And wonderful people. Almost makes me wish I'd gone there instead....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture