Tuesday, December 05, 2006

 

St. Nicholas


I used to live in Holland where St. Nicholas' feast day is a huge affair. The Saint arrives in Holland from Spain around the middle of November to great fanfare. For the next several weeks he travels around the country checking to see if the children have been good. On his feast day, the Saint leaves gifts including the traditional chocolate initial letter. Children sing song while waiting for the Saint. This is perhaps the most traditional:

Sinterklaas kapoentje,
Gooi wat in mijn schoentje,
Gooi wat in mijn laarsje,
Dank je Sinterklaasje!

Saint-Nicolas Little Rascal,
Put something in my little shoe,
Put something in my little boot,
Thank you little Saint-Nicolas!

Labels:


The Documents in the Case:
Hey, there was candy in my shoes this morning!
 
Wow is the Saint good to you.
 
Are there no Krampus in Holland?
 
Hey, I know that song! Miracle on 34th Street has been on a lot lately.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture