Friday, November 17, 2006

 

I'm so excited!

Preston Sturges: The Filmmakers Collection is now available on DVD. Be still my beating heart! Sturges is one of my favorite directors. Screwball comedy is my favorite movie genre and Sturgest took it a a new level. His snappy, at times sarcastic, dialogue is considered by many to retain its freshness, even 60 years later. And, his movies are funny! I don't think anyone could match wits with Sturges.

The set contains 7 famous Sturges films made between 1940 and 1944. The titles include, The Lady Eve, Sullivan's Travels, The Palm Beach Story, Hail the Conquering Hero, Christmas in July, The Great McGinty, and The Great Moment. For some reason, Miracle a Morgan's Creek is missing - which will be a great loss for anyone who buys the set, though it doesn't matter to me because I already have it. In fact, amazingly, the only DVD in the collection that I already own is Hail the Conquering Hero.

This could make a great Christmas present!

Labels:


The Documents in the Case:
What is it with all these Christmas hints. The Critic is back and has a list a page long. I'll throw one in while we're at it though - the Thin Man (entire collection).
 
Ah, very good. I actually have them all (but one) on VHS. But, I also just saw that the Fred and Ginger collection is out on DVD too. Yipee!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture