Tuesday, November 28, 2006

 

Did Mary suffer labor pains?

Last night in my CCD class, one of the girls asked me if Mary suffered labor pains. She often asks these great speculative questions, and I don't want to discourage her. It was a great opportunity to encourage my students to apply what they've learned to a theological question. Of course, they were annoyed that I didn't just give them an answer! But I've been trying to teach them to think through their answers. I don't want them to just be able to parrot a catechism.

The argument went like this:

One girl: "God created woman to have pains in labor so if Mary didn't have pain that wouldn't be REASONABLE" (I've been emphasizing that God is reasonable and doesn't contradict himself.)

Second girl: "But, Mary's child was special so it would make sense if she had a special labor."

Me: "Mary is the Immaculate Conception. Conception means beginning - for people it means the moment when they begin. Immaculate means spotless, pure. That means Mary's beginning was spotless, not stained by sin."

One boy: "The effects of Original Sin are suffering and death."

Second girl: "So, if Mary didn't have Original Sin, she also didn't have the effects and didn't suffer."

We never got to a decision about whether or not Mary suffered labor pains, but I'm excited about the conversation. They were really thinking!

The discussion turned out to be very timely with the recent screening of The Nativity Story. Check out this review by American Papist and this discussion at Fr. John Zuhlsdorf's blog.

Labels: ,


The Documents in the Case:
You teach CCD?
 
Yes, I teach 7th grade.
 
Hey, my name isn't anonymous...
 
So, I got to thinking about this. It seems that it would follow that Mary also didn't have hunger pains. That if she stubbed her toe, it wouldn't hurt. That Mary could throw seed on the ground and prize winning plants would spring up without her having to water or fertilize them. What do you think about that?
 
So it might seem, but suffering does not equal pain. Hunger pains have nothing to do with suffering. They are just a natural occurance when you don't eat. Plus as far as labor pains are concerned, God says very clearly after the fall that woman shall have pain in brining forth children, and if Mary was created without that sin, then it follows that she did not have that pain.

Sorry, just me being nerdy again.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture