Tuesday, November 07, 2006

 

The best marriage proposal

No, not to me.

I got my friend hooked on the Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy Sayers and he called last night to remind me that I needed to go visit him soon - and bring more books! He still needs to read Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon, the last two books in the series, which caused me to reflect on my favorite marriage proposal in all of literature. The proposal is made by Lord Peter Wimsey to Harriet Vane in Gaudy Night. I can't fully explain how it effects me, but everytime I read it I'm still surprised with the perfectness of it. The proposal has been building for several books, and yet it always takes me somewhat by surprise.

Gaudy Night is the best of all the Lord Peter books. Melanie was commenting recently on the disappointment she feels when reading subsequent works of an author because she was introduced to the author by their best work. Fortunately, that doesn't happen with the Lord Peter Wimsey series since Gaudy Night is the second to last book in the series. Whose Body?, the first book in the series, is an entertaining murder mystery which makes delightful introductions of many of the key characters in the series, including Lord Peter's famous first utterance, "Oh, damn!" as he realizes that he forgot the catalogue to the rare books sale he's rushing to. It's not the best, but it's a necessary piece of the whole.

The Lord Peter Wimsey series reminds me of the song, Nice 'n'Easy:

We're on the road to romance - that's safe to say
But let's make all the stops along the way


Don't cheat yourself. Start at the beginning and don't miss any of the stops. It's a delightful ride and you'll end up at a perfect marriage proposal.

The Documents in the Case:
Well what is it? I don't remember.
 
No kidding. Why would you tease us like that? Why?
 
Oh no! I don't remember either! Now I'm going to wonder about that for months until I get back!
 
I can't tell you. It wouldn't make any sense out of context. It's really the culmination of a relationship that develops over several books. That's one of the reasons why I like the series so much - the stories are enjoyable for themselves, but there are so many themes that are explored including the relationship between a man and a woman. (Here's a hint though: brush up on your Latin)
 
Arrrgghhh! That is no help at all. If I didn't remember it in English, I certainly don't remember it in Latin.
 
I have to agree. Some things just get better. And Peter and Harriet are one of the best literary couples ever. I may have to dig out my copy and re-read.

By the way have you read the two unfinished Lord Peter novels that were finished by Jill Paton Walsh based on Dorothy Sayers' notes, Thrones, Dominations and A Presumption of Death? Pretty good, even if they don't quite have the zing of the originals.
 
I haven't read them. I'm not usually a fan of novels finished by someone else because they're never as good as the originals - and usually seem to veer off in a different direction than the original author's. But, my friend read Thrones, Dominations over the summer and said that it's pretty good, so I think I'm going to have to borrow it from him.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture