Wednesday, September 27, 2006

 

A new springtime

Diane at Te Deum has a beautiful post about the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. I know I've mentioned them before, but I get so excited when someone else is excited about them. You see, I've felt a real connection with them ever since one of my best friends joined them 6 years ago. One of my household sisters was already there, and two other women, who were in my major at Steubenville - there were only about 30 of us, so were were a pretty close group - joined about the same time. For a while, it seemed everywhere I went I was hearing news of someone else joining!

Founded in 1997 by 4 women, the convent has experienced phenominal growth. When Sister Elizabeth Ann made her profession and received her black veil, the median age at the convent was 27. Yes, that's right - 27. At that time there were about 45 sisters. Today, just 3 years later, there are around 70.

During the summer at Christendom College, I had the priviledge of studying with about 60 men and women from various orders around the country (and Canada). All wore habits, all were joyful - they made you smile just to be near them. When people start to complain about the Church, when they start to bemoan the awful times we are experiencing, I just want to point to these orders and tell them, "There is so much hope."

Hat tip to Dom.

Labels:


The Documents in the Case:
Having lived in the near vicinity of the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, I can attest that they are fun, joyful, beautiful women. I never felt a call to religious life, but it gave me great happiness to see these women so in love with their vocation.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture