Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

Feast of St. John Chrysostom

St. John Chrysostom is considered one of the greatest preachers to ever preach from a Christian pulpit. The title "Chrysostom" means "golden-mouthed." St. John Chrysostom was born in Antioch around the year 347. He was preparing for a career in law, when, at the age of 23 he was baptized and decided to serve the Lord by entering a monastery. In 386 John Chrysostom was ordained to the priesthood and over the next several years his main task was preaching. A sermon that St. John delivered condemning the adulation of a crowd at the unveiling of a statue of the Empress Eudoxia resulted in permanent exile. From exile, he remained in contact with the Church, writing treatises and letters which are a treasure of the Church today. St. John Chrysostom died in exile at Pontus in the year 407.

Prayer of St. John Chrysostom to Jesus before Holy Communion

O Lord, my God, I am not worthy that you should come into my soul, but I am glad that you have come to me because in your loving kindness you desire to dwell in me. You ask me to open the door of my soul, which you alone have created, so that you may enter into it with your loving kindness and dispel the darkness of my mind. I believe that you will do this for you did not turn away Mary Magdalene when she approached you in tears. Neither did you withhold forgiveness from the tax collector who repented of his sins or from teh good thief who asked to be received into your kingdom. Indeed, you numbered as your friends all who came to you with repentant hearts. O God, you alone are blessed always, now, and forever.

Labels:


The Documents in the Case: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture