Sunday, August 13, 2006

 

Who You'd Be Today

Today is the 18th anniversary of my sister's death. I can't believe it's been that long.

There have been a lot of "what would's". What would she be like? She would be 24 now, she would have graduated high school and college. She might be starting a career, maybe have a boyfriend, or be planning a wedding.

The first time I heard Kenny Chesney's song Who You'd Be Today it was as if someone had gotten inside my head. I'm sure everyone who has lost someone felt the same way. These lines especially struck me:

Would you see the world
Would you chase your dreams
Settle down with a family
I wonder what would you name your babies


Sometimes, even years later, I would lay awake and cry at night telling myself that it really had happened. There really was a hole in my family between my brothers where she was supposed to be. She would never be there for Christmas again, or go to high school or college. Or be there to share all the joys, pains, and secrets that siblings share with each other.

But, with the light of day came reassurance, even if there was still sorrow. I don't know why sister died at 6. But I know that she's with God and that He has his reasons. And I have to trust that.

May the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.

Labels:


The Documents in the Case:
Very touching. Thank you.
 
Well said. I was trying to explain that feeling just the other day. Les Mis put it well too - "There's a grief that can't be spoken; there's a pain goes on and on."

We love you Allyson and look forward to our reunion.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture