Thursday, August 10, 2006

 

Summer Under the Stars

I think I've mentioned before that I love classic movies. So, it should be no surprise that my favorite station is Turner Classic Movies. And, my favorite thing at TCM is their August Summer Under the Stars. Each day in August, they pick a different star and play only their movies all day long. So, if you love Joseph Cotten you'll want to tune in on August 16 - or maybe you'll want to see Ann Sothern on August 24. There's even a whole day dedicated to Bela Lugosi.

Unfortunately, with moving back to Massachusetts and trying to finish my paper, I missed the first week, but I caught Jane Powell Day yesterday.



Today's star is the tough yet sensitive, and extremely handsome John Garfield.


Before Clift, before Brando, before Jimmy Dean (and long before Pacino and De Niro), there was the dynamic John Garfield. When he made his first movie, the folksy 1938 family drama Four Daughters, little did he know - little did anyone suspect - that his on-screen persona in that single film would change forever the perception of what a Hollywood leading man could be.

Check out The Postman Always Rings Twice with Garfield and Lana Turner. 11PM eastern tonight.

Labels:


The Documents in the Case: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture