Wednesday, August 16, 2006

 

Star of the Day - Joseph Cotten

Today TCM is featuring one of my favorite actors - Joseph Cotten. Good-looking, charming, with a quiet sophistication that allowed him to play roles in almost every genre, he was in parts a character actor, leading man, romantic hero and even the occasional bad guy. In a career spanning 40 years, he appeared in a remarkable number of films that received high aclaim: Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Gaslight, The Third Man, Shadow of a Doubt, Niagara, Portrait of Jennie, Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte, and The Farmer's Daughter just to name a few. He was quoted as saying, "Orson Welles lists Citizen Kane (1941) as his best film, Alfred Hitchcock opts for Shadow of a Doubt (1943) and Sir Carol Reed chose The Third Man (1949) - and I'm in all of them."

My favorites include, The Farmer's Daughter, Since You Went Away, Gaslight, The Third Man, I'll Be Seeing You. Only The Third Man is playing today, so that's my pick of the day.

Holly Martins arrives in Vienna to find that his friend Harry Lime was killed in mysterious circumstances. As Holly investigates Harry's death, he finds that Harry wasn't all he seemed to be. With Cotten, Orson Welles, and Trevor Howard, written by Graham Greene, this classic Film Noir thriller is number 57 on the AFI Top 100 movies of all time list and tops the British Movie Institute list of the 100 best British films.

Labels:


The Documents in the Case:
Hey, it ate my comment.

Thursday bought me Mr. and Mrs. Smith the other day, and last weekend we picked up 7 (that's right 7) of the fabulous Lombard's flicks over the weekend.
 
I'm jealous!
 
Wait...I thought Mr. and Mrs. Smith had Brad Pitt and his chica?

:)
 
Ann: If you had it all to do over again, would you still have married me?
David: Honestly, no.

Those two lines set off more fireworks than the Brad Pitt - Angelina Jolie film could ever have.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture