Tuesday, July 11, 2006

 

We have a sword warrior in Heaven

Joshua Michael Schmiedicke

July 26, 2001 - July 8, 2006

Last night I attended the wake/prayer service for Joshua Schmiedicke. In a packed church, following the rosary and Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary, his mother spoke beautifully of his short life. For almost fifteen mintues, she held us spellbound as she told us about the story of his birth, his relationships with his 2 brothers and 3 sisters, his love for his grey rubber sword, the train tracks he would build every morning, his persistence in asking for what he wanted, and his theological questions. "Though he was your younger brother, he is our older brother now", she told her children as she reminded each one of them individually that Joshua would always be with them, looking over them.

I was especially struck by Regina's comment that her worst fear had always been that she would hit a child with her car. I remembered my mother saying the same thing after my sister drowned many years ago - that her worst fear had always been that one of her children would drown. My mother reminded me that God gives us our greatest fears so that we know we have nothing to fear.

"I command you to be firm and steadfast! Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord, you God, is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:19

The Documents in the Case:
Thanks for posting this on your blog. I am Joshua's uncle Martin Doman. We are trying to raise money for this family to get a new car. Please send any donations made out to 'The Schmiedicke Family" to this address:
PO Box 1963
Front Royal, VA 22630

Thanks again!
Martin Doman
 
http://www.joshuaschmiedicke.com/

This is the eulogy Wimsey referenced. Bring Kleenex.
 
"God gives us our greatest fears so that we know we have nothing to fear"? No disrespect intended toward your mother, Wimsey, but isn't that rather like punching someone in the face (when they've begged you not to, no less!) to show them it only hurts "this much"?

Tragedies like this happen, but I have a real hard time with anyone saying that God "gave" this to them. And, of course, it leads me to question why pray for anything at all, if God is going to "give" you the exact opposite. it sorta flies in the face of "ask and you shall receive" and all that.
 
Pioneer,

God does test us with trials. The letter of James says, "Blessed is the man who endures trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life which God has promised to those who love him" (Jas. 1:12) This does not mean that prayer is worthless, only that sometimes God answers our prayers in a way that we don't understand. Sometimes, he answers our prayer with a trial, a test of faith that we have to endure. I pray that I never have to undergo a trial like the one my parents or the Schmiedicke family had to endure, but if I do, I also pray for the faith and trust to stand the test and "receive the crown of life".
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture