Friday, June 09, 2006

 

Spectacular Debut

On Wednesday, as part of the St. Paul's Music Festival, I was privileged to hear the debut concert of a new chamber orchestra, the Worcester Collegium. They opened the concert with an amazing piece by Telemann, Concerto for Viola in G. major. The piece features orchestra with viola solo. Incredible. Being, once upon a time, a strings player myself, I am always amazed at the playing of first-rate musicians.

Of course, I'm not an expert when it comes to music. I like what I like, and I enjoy watching people make music. But, you don't have to take my word for it that the Worcester Collegium's debut was wonderful. Here's the rave review from the Worcester Telegram.

The Worcester Collegium is composed of professional musicians and also college and high school students. As such, it's not the typical orchestra. One violin player in particular caught my eye. He was wearing a tight black t-shirt and looked like a teenager who might be hanging out on a street corner with his friends, talking about - well, whatever teenage boys talk about. And, there he was, playing Mozart and Telemann.

The aim of the Worcester Collegium is to provided the best possible musical performances to as many people as possible. With their mix of players and their debut on Wednesday night I'd say they were well on their way to attracting all kinds of people.

The Documents in the Case: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture