Tuesday, June 06, 2006

 

"29 Let's Go"

The man jumping in the middle of this picture is my grandfather. He was a member of the 29th Division, 121st combat engineers who landed on Omaha Beach June 6, 1944. His squad was responsible for blowing the double wall blocking the exit off the beach into Vierville-Sur-Mer, remnants of the Maginot line, brought to Normandy by Field Marshal Rommel.

In 1958, my grandfather contacted Frances Ward, research assistant to Cornelius Ryan and was interviewed for and eventually included in his classic book on D-dayThe Longest Day:

Dear Miss Ward,

I have just seen a copy of Veterans Newsletter wanting to contact Veterans of the D-Day Invasion of Normandy Beachheads.

I can proudly say I was there. I was squad leader of the 9th squad, Company C, 121stEngineer Combat Battalion, 29th Division which landed on Omaha Beach in the fourth wave June 6, 1944.

It was my detail that blew the wall at exit D which enabled the tanks and trucks to get off the beach into the village of Vierville.

T/Sgt. Edward Brennan, from around Boston, stacked 40 cases of TNT against the wall and John Alensck of Scranton, PA set off the charge which took out the double wall at one time.

I am now married and the father of 8 wonderful children. My fondest wishes would be to go back and retrace my steps as I read so many do each year.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford it. I am a leg amputee, having lost it in a mine field in Germany, also lost sight in my right eye – and badly scarred left forearm.

I am very proud to say that I have been decorated three times. Silver Star and Brown Star with Cluster, besides the Purple Heart.

However, I consider myself one of the very fortunate ones. I am more than thankful to my government for taking such good care of me.

I would be thrilled to have Mr. Ryan interview me.

Salmon Falls, NH
August 12, 1958


I am happy to say that my grandfather has made it back to Normandy several times beginning with the 45th anniversary, making many friends in Vierville-Sur-Mer. His latest trip was in April of 2005, when he took his wife, 2 daughters, 3 sons and 2 granddaughters on a tour of the area – and was hugely welcomed as a hero.

The Documents in the Case: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture