Sunday, May 14, 2006

 

Marriage on the mind

My sister is getting married in 2 weeks, friends are getting married next weekend, friends were married this weekend. With that in mind, it seemed the right time to highlight these beautiful reflections on marriage by my friend Dom.

Last August, he reflected on his coming marriage to Melanie. Many of his reflections resonated with me, especially this:

Meanwhile, I realized yesterday at some point that a momentous event had happened. Sometime in the past few months I stopped worrying about my vocation. Mind you, for about the past 20 years I have thought and prayed about my vocation....

Such thoughts tended to eat up my prayer life and my daily thoughts: Will I find someone to love and who will love me? Why can’t I find such a woman? Is this the woman? Why is it so hard to find a devout Catholic woman who interests me and I interest her? And so on. Of course, I kept my faith in the Lord, that He had a plan for my life and for my vocation. Not to say it wasn’t difficult.


Since my daily prayer is taken up largely by the important question of my own vocation, will I find someone to love, why doesn't God send someone to me, what does he want me to do in preparation, I immediately identified with what Dom was saying. I've even thought more than once with some amazement that some day this question may no longer be The Question in my life.

To read more of Dom's musings on his impending marriage see here, here and here.

Yesterday, Dom commented on his nine months of marriage to Melanie and the pending birth of their first child.

And I love her more today and every day. Loving someone more is a difficult concept to grasp. I love Melanie with my whole self. How could I love her more tomorrow? Yet, I know I will because I love her more now than I did a year ago (and I loved her with my whole self last year.)

The Documents in the Case: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture