Thursday, May 11, 2006

 

John Paul II, Patron of Single Adults

Marybeth Bonacci has claimed John Paul II as patron for single adults. I think she's on to something.

John Paul II is in many ways a patron for the unmarried. This was a man who knew the experience of living without a family. His mother died when he was nine. He lost his only brother while he was still a teenager, and his father when he was in his early 20s. And so he was alone. He maintained strong relationships with his childhood friends, building up a strong “communion of persons” which lasted throughout his life. He participated in their families’ lives — marrying them, baptizing their children, celebrating their milestones with them.

John Paul loved young people and encouraged them to make the Church their family, where they could, as he put it in Familiaris Consortio: discover the beauty and grandeur of the vocation to love and the service of life.

After John Paul's death last year, I began to pray to him for guidance in choosing a spouse. With his beautiful teachings on marriage, affinity for young people, and strong friendships, I felt sure that he was the best person to pray for me. And, I had fired St. Raphael after my last disasterous relationship. It just wasn't working out! (Don't worry, I soon thought better of it.)

JP II, Pray for us.

The Documents in the Case: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture