Thursday, April 06, 2006

 

What she said

Melanie Bettinelli over at The Wine-Dark Sea Blog comments on What does a Catholic look like? It is, of course, the perpetual balancing act that we must perform - viewing our own particular stamp of Catholicism as best for us, while leaving room for other varieties. The trick is to realize that the Church is much larger than the little piece we see in front of us. In the US, I sometimes think that we are at a disadvantage. Our country is so big and so isolated from other cultures that we sometimes forget that ours is not the only way of thinking. As Melanie says,

I realized a part of that truth during my semester abroad. Just standing in the wide arms of Bernini's piazza, the famous St Peter's square, surrounded by pilgrims from every nation, speaking most of the languages known to man, you realize that we are members of the Church universal. Few Catholics in the US today seem to have a clear sense of the bigness of the Church and the variety of pieties, devotions and practices that she encompasses.

Like Melanie, I've never been able to develop a habit of praying the rosary regularly. But, I do pray the office, morning prayer and night prayer. I love how the psalms in the office seem to echo everything that I'm dealing with in my life.

In you O Lord, I take refuge.
Let me never be put to shame.
In your justice, set me free,
hear me and speedily rescue me.

Be a rock of refuge for me,
a mighty stronghold to save me,
for you are my rock, my stronghold.
For you name's sake, lead me and guide me.

Release me from the snares they have hidden
for you are my refuge, Lord.
Into your hands I commend my spirit.
It is you who will redeem me, Lord.



Accepting a variety of modes of being Catholic was something that I had to face during my years at Franciscan University of Steubenville. I came from a background that included Latin Mass and Gregorian Chant. I encountered a Charismatic environment with music I had never heard before. It took me several years to understand that while I would never be Charismatic, there were some things that I could take from that expression of worship. And, more importantly, that we were all worshipping the same God in the same sacraments. It was an invaluable lesson.

The argument of what makes a good Catholic becomes even more heated when we begin to talk about cultural issues. What is modesty? What is the place for women in the Church? Should they serve at the altar?

I have my own list of things that are important to me. I always wear a skirt for Mass on Sundays. It's my own way of reminding myself that it's an important day. I know others who feel that being comfortable in Mass is more important than being dressed up. I can't agree, but I won't force them to change (though I'm not above a little friendly discussion.) I don't like female altar servers. I don't like Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist used habitually. I like polyphony and chant and not modern hymns. My preferences for liturgy tend to the traditional, though not as far as the Tridentine Mass. On the other hand, I wear pants, and I like fashion. I enjoy classical music, but would much rather listen to country when I'm driving in my car. But, that's me.

In the end, I've realized that the Church would be very impoverished if everyone looked exactly like me. It's part of the adventure to see how all the pieces fit and how beautiful a picture they make when they're all in harmony.

The Documents in the Case: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture