Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

My Crusade

I love classic movies. Have I mentioned that?

I probably shouldn't admit it, but my VHS collection has about 300 titles and my DVD collection is closing in on 200. There are some modern movies in my collection, but mostly they are classics. When I say classic, I mean made before 1970 (often before 1960), not necessarily all great movies.

I think that there are certain movies that eveyone should see. Not all of them make the top 100 movies list, mostly because a lot of them are comedies. (You won't find Preston Sturges' The Miracle of Morgan's Creek on the list, but take it from me that it's a must see.) So, I'm on a crusade to introduce as many people as I can to the movies that I love. These movies are our heritage. Nowhere can we learn more about the American culture of the 20th century than by seeing it documented decade by decade on the silver screen.

Daniel Akst of the Opinion Journal agrees with me.

But in these old movies they discover that art and commerce can coexist, and that there's an enormous cultural legacy awaiting them that we all can enjoy together, even on screen.

While I can't agree with Akst's assessment of The African Queen (it's one of the movies in my collection), he's right that there are great lessons to be learned from these films as well as a lot of enjoyment. Some of my favorite movies are the sophisticated comedies of the '30's and '40's. I don't know that there are any deep lessons to be learned from these films, but I just revel in the witty dialogue.


From The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) directed by Irving Reis starring Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and Shirley Temple (as a teenager).

Richard Nugent: Hey, you remind me of a man.
Susan Turner: What man?
Richard Nugent: Man with the power.
Susan Turner: What power?
Richard Nugent: Power of hoodoo.
Susan Turner: Hoodoo?
Richard Nugent: You do.
Susan Turner: Do what?
Richard Nugent: Remind me of a man...

You just can't find dialogue like that any more!

The Documents in the Case:
We should make a list! It would be quite extensive. You could do a different review every week.
 
I've been thinking of making a weekly recommendation. A lot of the movies are now available on Netflix, easier to find than before.
 
C'mon, Wimsey, do you really think people need to know anything about Private R-r-r-rastkywatsky? ;)

BTW, have you seen Labrynth? They took that dialogue from Bachelor and gave it to David Bowie and some muppets. :)
 
Yes, I think that everyone's life is much poorer for never meeting Private Ignatz Ratzkywatzky and Trudy Kockenlocker. How could a movie not be great with names like that?

Haven't seen Labrynth. I'll have to check it out.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture