Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

God or the Girl

I watched the first 4 episodes of God or the Girl last night. Despite it's misleading title (choosing the Girl does not mean that you are leaving God behind - if you are in fact called to marriage, God is there too), the series was well done and very respectful of the discerning process. I had a few quibbles, but most were minor. Mostly, I was annoyed by the people who seemed to be pushing the men toward the priesthood. Though, for the most part, the idea of following God's call, rather than making a decision on their own was evident in the comments made by each of the men.

After watching the series, I agree with Jason's (from Sirach 40:20) assessment of the men.

It was obvious from the start that Mike was going to choose marriage over the priesthood. I thought that Fr. Pauselli remarks about his disappointment over Mike's decision were regrettable. The call to the priesthood is something to be responded to, not a decision that is made on one's own. A young man does not choose to be a priest, rather he accepts God's call.

I think that Steve will make a great priest, whether he chooses to be a missionary or not. I was really impressed with the way that Steve's friends supported him, wanting him to be happy.

I'm a little worried about Joe. His problems with the priesthood and celibacy seem to show an immaturity that would not be good in someone looking to enter the priesthood - or marriage.

I thought that the encounter with the Bible Christian at Ohio State was interesting. I felt respect for him for standing up for his convictions, while I also thought he was absolutely wrong! And, I liked Dan's response to the fallen away Catholic that he met while carrying his cross. At first, I thought, there's a lot more to it, but he didn't have time to go into a whole theological argument for celibacy (at least in an edited show). His simple statement that if he was married, he would have to devote himself to his wife in a way that would not allow him to completely give himself to his priesthood seemed to make sense to the man.

I also liked the faith shown by each man, the trust that they placed in God to make His will clear to them, the acceptance of the sacrifices that were required and the unexpected paths that God was leading them into.

And by and large, I didn't see any of the problems found by Fr. Nuss. Granted that a lot of the discernment process isn't the stuff of exciting television, there is still something dramatic happening that can be documented and shared. Most of the second half of the show was following the men as they went on pilgrimage or retreat to get away from the distractions and focus on what God is calling them to. That's something everyone who is seeking to hear God should do.

I hope that the series will encourage other young men to give the priesthood serious thought, even if they eventually decide that they aren't called.

If you missed it, the A&E will show all 4 episodes back to back on Friday starting at 8. The final episode will air Sunday (4/23) at 10.

The Documents in the Case: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture