Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

Construction platform collapses

On June 24, 1970, my uncle was killed in a construction accident. He was working on the I95 Piscataqua River Bridge when the scaffolding he was standing on fell. He had just graduated from Notre Dame and was working this summer job until he left for the Air Force in the Fall. It was his second day on the job.

I never met my uncle, but all the stories came flooding back as I heard of the accident at Emerson College in Boston yesterday. The scaffolding outside one of the college buildings came crashing down onto Boylston Street. Three men were killed in the accident, including a 28 year old doctor who was just driving by. Dr. Michael Ty was a member of the Young Adult community at St. Clement's Shrine in Boston.

Please pray for the repose of their souls and for their families.

Update:
It turns out that Michael Ty was the co-founder with his wife of a Catholic Theater in Boston which put on a production of a play about St. Edith Stein. I saw the production and it was very good and thought provoking. He was also married to Robin Crotty, a graduate of my alma mater, Franciscan University of Steubenville. See Dom Bettinelli's blog here for more information.

The Documents in the Case:
i know robin, and she doesn't have a sister.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

What I'm Reading
  • Without Roots: The West, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • The Cost of Choice
  • What I've Finished
  • The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde
  • The Faithful Departed
  • Cover Her Face
  • Joy in the Morning
  • Gaudy Night
  • Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture